martes, 17 de junio de 2008

Birthplace of ELVIS PRESLEY

This house was built in 1934 by Vernon, Vester and their father, Jesse Presley. Vernon Presley borrowed $180.00 from Mr. Orville Bean, the man he worked for in a dairy at that time. Vernon was very proud of the fact that he built the interior door all by himself. The hammer they used is in the museum.

On January 8, 1935, Gladys Presley gave birth to twin boys in this room. Jesse Garon was stillborn. The other twin was named Elvis Aaron Presley.

Work was hard to find. When Elvis was about two and a half years old, Vernon lost the house for lack of payment. At that time the family moved next door to live with Vernon’s parents, Minnie and Jesse.

Over the next few years Vernon and Gladys worked at various jobs in and around Tupelo. Gladys sewed for Reed Manufacturing and Tupelo Garment Company. Vernon drove a truck for L.P. McCarty and another wholesale company. He also did some sharecropping. The family moved several more times in Tupelo. When Elvis went from Lawhon to Milam School the family moved closer to Milam school.

Elvis would often take his guitar to the overlook and play it while looking over the lights of Tupelo. Often he would dream of a better day and a greater, more meaningful life for himself and his family.

Vernon worried about his family and their future in Tupelo. In November of 1948 when Elvis had just begun the eight grade, Vernon decided to move the family to Memphis in hopes of finding a better way of life for the Presley's. They sold all the furniture that they had at the time, loaded what was left in and on top of their 1939 Plymouth and headed for Memphis. And as you all know, the rest is history.

The furniture in the house today is NOT the original furniture but is accurate to the time period when the Presley's lived here. It is similar and placed in the approximate location as it was when they lived here, according to Vernon Presley. The basic structure is original. The ceiling and roof have been replaced. The house is located on the original location it was built.

No hay comentarios: